Saturday, September 5, 2009

Field of Mars

Field of Mars

These photos are only part of the field which also had walk ways lined with low lying arched design rod iron fencing. This was once a marshy area and was drained during the 19th century and used for military maneuvers and parades, fairs and other festivities.

It was named after Mars, the Roman god of war. It was landscaped and made into a war memorial between 1917 and 1923. The granite Monument fo Revolutionary Fighters (1917-19), by Lev Rudnev, and the Eternal Flame (1957) commemorate the victims of the Revolutions of 1917 and the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment